At Bay Adelaide Centre we raise the bar for real estate everywhere. That’s why we actively manage our building’s environmental performance. Since we opened our doors 12 years ago, we’ve tracked every kilowatt of energy used. Every litre of water consumed. And every tonne of waste generated.
Our commitment to performance means we participate in industry and internal benchmarking. Each year we report to the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) to see where we stand among peers. Nine years running, Brookfield Properties continues to rank as a 4 Green Star participant.
Our operations are focused on excellence for you and for the planet. The property is BOMA 360 Designated, and WELL Health-Safety Rated. Both towers have achieved LEED® Core & Shell certification. The West Tower is LEED® CS Gold Certified, and the East Tower is LEED® CS Platinum Certified. We have green amenities like close to 350 bike spots, dedicated change rooms for tenants, lockers, shower facilities, preferred parking for green vehicles, and wellness programming through axiis, our tenant engagement app.
Let’s build a better world, together.
Green amenities and highlights at Bay Adelaide Centre include:
- Annual Earth Hour participant
- Annual participant in the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) Real Estate Assessment
- axiis engagement app with sustainability tips, news, and events
- BOMA 360 Designated
- Ecozone in parking garage with EV charging stations
- Enwave Deep Lake water cooling
- FSC Certified paper products
- Green roof installed on East Tower Podium
- LEED® CS Gold (West Tower) and Platinum (East Tower) Certified
- Recycled rainwater from the West Tower used for 100% of landscape irrigations, non-potable water for floors 1-6 of the West Tower and floors 1-12 of the East Tower
- Tenant bike room and shower facilities
- WELL Health-Safety Rated
At our Canadian properties, we’ve been tracking our environmental performance for the past 12 years. We account for every kilowatt-hour of energy used, metric tonne equivalent of carbon dioxide emitted, and every drop of water. We’re proud of the savings our buildings have achieved since we started formally tracking our data in 2008:
84% waste diversion rate in 2019
68% Greenhouse Gas Savings for cooling by switching to Deep Lake Water Cooling
- Figures represent absolute consumption data. Normalization factors such as weather & occupant density, or operational changes are not included.
- Intensities are generated based on high-level calculations using absolute utility bill data and gross floor areas (no parking).
- Switching from Mechanical Cooling to Enwave Deep Lake Water Cooling has contributed to significant domestic water savings.
- Savings are based on Like for Like, which includes only properties under full year operation between 2015 and 2019.
At Brookfield Properties, we work directly with our waste management providers, tenants, building occupants, and visitors towards a common goal of reducing the amount of waste we generate and send to landfill. By ensuring the correct items are placed in each waste bin, we can reduce the amount of contamination found in our waste streams. Since contaminated waste streams often end up as landfill, making the right bin choice is a quick way to make a positive impact on our community.
Waste Sorting Tips and Tricks
- Ensure all containers are empty before recycling
- Look for recycling numbers on the underside of jars and bottles for recycling information
- When recycling large boxes in the office, break them down so that they are flat
- We have engaged a service provider who undertakes off-site sorting of recyclables.
- Remember that recycling at work is not the same as home
- Remember that anything contaminated will go straight to the garbage dump
- When in doubt, ask your tenant services manager where your waste goes